Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Striving | Day 6: A Day of Peace

Today was the Wreaths Across America ceremony. It was freezing cold, and the ceremonial gloves were so thin my hands became chapped. But I enjoyed it. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and everyone was in good spirits. We took a few pictures to commemorate the ceremony, and then some left, while the rest of us stayed to lay wreaths upon the graves.

The snow was the almost cake-y kind, where you could pack it into a snowball. Stepping in a foot deep of it, with dress shoes was not a fun experience. Having chunks of snow fall into your shoes and melt was not, by far, the best time you have ever had, either.

When we had finished laying wreaths upon the graves, we returned to our cars and drove our separate ways. My sister and I went to visit our grandpa. Our aunt and one of our cousins were there, cleaning. They finished, and after talking a little, left.

If you've ever had a conversation with me, you know what the atmosphere was like. Awkward. But on the whole, I appreciated it. He seemed to as well. We spent about half an hour or so more, and then we left for home.

What it was about today that felt peaceful is well beyond me. Maybe I never heard anyone shouting angry words. Maybe it was because I was content with how the morning went. Maybe the sun was sunny enough.

Something about today was peaceful. Maybe it was me.

--Reeths

No comments:

Post a Comment