Sunday, January 8, 2017

It Is Well with My Soul | State of Mind

Recently I've been... well, struggling, I guess. I've never been a good organizer. And that's what I need to be at this point in my life. This particular point I need more energy than previous years. And I have no energy. I haven't had energy for years.

Things have been hard for me. I've been trying to decide between what I want, and what I need to do to make it in the world—in life. What is a more important venture? To be alive or stay living? To do what I love to do, or to do what I have to do?

I've been through a lot of turmoil lately, and it hasn't been easy. It's... never been easy, really. But I'm trying to find peace. So I'd like to share one of my favorite hymns, even though it's not my favorite rendition.

The story behind this hymn is actually absolutely harrowing and full of heartache. His four-year-old son died from scarlet fever, and two years later, his four daughters perished when the steamship Ville du Havre collided without another ship, and sunk.

It Is Well with My Soul penned by Horatio Spafford.


To think that he could write such a song of peace amidst his troubled life is helpful to hear.

--Reeths

5 comments:

  1. This song is incredible (though it's blocked on my laptop...)
    It's been a week since I've checked here and already so many more posts! I've got a bit to read.
    Also, from a fellow struggle-er... wow. Who knew we could get to a place like this.
    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Many, much, more! Hopefully more soon.

      Who knew indeed. All my years, I'd never imagined where I would be. But... I'm glad that we're here.

      Delete
    2. Oh, not me. I'm still in the 'turmoil' deep, deep in the turmoil.

      Delete
    3. No? Well, I am. It's hard and everything, but I'm glad to be where I am. I'm glad to have met you guys. That's what I mean by I'm glad that we're here.

      If I hadn't met you guys, I'm pretty sure I'd be in a darker place. So yeah, it's hard, and every day's a struggle, but somehow I'm grateful to be here.

      Delete
  2. Oh. Well, I'd have to agree with it when you put it that way. I am glad to have met you. Though I did meet you before I was really that much of a struggler.
    I keep thinking I'm getting better, but then I realize that I'm just not. I had a paper due in Comm. Arts class today. I haven't even started it yet. An AP Comm Arts class. This is how I nearly failed last semester, This is bad.
    Now, off to start working on that paper...

    ReplyDelete